Sunday, March 09, 2008

I Knooooooooow, Riiight?

I have a new visitor. It's kind of like a disease. It's contagious like a yawn or a childhood illness.

It's a simple, three-word phrase I picked up after spending time with a friend who uses said phrase...

I know, right?

It came on like a pox. First once, then twice, then several times. As I got tired, and over stimulated (not that that happened at all, what with going to Foxwoods, getting no sleep, partying in Boston...nah...), it came on full force, a full-blown infection.

Every conversation I have had for the last two days has been interrupted by this new invader. Apparently, my tired, involutary mind is convinced that, "I know, right?" is the perfect insertion into any conversation. My voluntary mind, however, is warring against it. So, now, I sound like I have Tourettes Syndrome.

My sister: "We have to do another song...how about Buttercup, it rocks!"

My Involutary Mind: "I know, right?"

My Voluntary Mind in my head: OH NO! SHUT UP! There it is again. I totally wish I could stop saying that!

Me, out loud: "Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr..."

My sister: "Eventually, you will give it up, it can't go on forever!"

I know, right?

2 comments:

Cathy said...

LOL! I have a long time friend that says the same thing. It takes me a while to get over using the phrase as well.

Lorraine said...

I'm 100% with you on this one. I was attacked by the "You know?" virus last weekend and seemed to say it every other sentence. Luckily 'IK-R' doesn't seem to come across over IM :)