Thursday, January 22, 2009

Day 22: Mirror Image


Day 22: Mirror Image, originally uploaded by Kikigill.

What do you think of yourself? Do you love yourself completely? Do you think that a lot of the shortcomings in your life come from areas where you lack self-love? How is self-confidence tied to self-love?

These are the questions I ask myself when I look in the mirror. I have always been confident that what I offer the world when I open my mouth, or serve up the contents of my brain, is exceptional. Lately, I am starting to find my physical appearance more and more trued up with the internal image. This is odd, because years ago, I lost a lot of weight. I was actually down to a size I hadn't seen since Junior High! I was still the same girl inside, though, and all the same insecurities still plagued me. I remember thinking this was odd. How could my "new and improved container" not have impacted the way I felt about myself?

Now, the reverse is true. I am working on becoming more at peace with myself inside and am, therefore, finding happiness with what I see in the mirror. Pretty cool, actually.

2 comments:

Sara said...

good for you. I am finding the same thing, started when I turned 30. Lost a bunch of weight, felt better, had third child and am back up 15lbs. However, I feel better than I did before I ever lost the weight. I think every year you are are older, the more you"don't care" what other's think. Maturing if you will. Good luck!

Lorraine said...

This all relates to the locker room effect. You know how the ladies in their 80s are perfectly happy to walk around completely nude, no matter how overweight, saggy, and wrinkly they are? Meanwhile the youngest women with perfect bodies are hiding behind lockers, covering themselves up with towels, etc. Losing that overwhelming self-consciousness is a great gift of aging.