Tuesday, May 12, 2009

DAY 132: Goin' on a Bird Nest Hunt


May 11 001, originally uploaded by Kikigill.

So, I have been taking the kids on morning bird nest hunts. I am here to tell you that either birds have gotten WAY better at hiding their nests or I have grown far less able to spot them in my old age. I haven't found anything except two little stick "gatherings" I can't even really call nests. It's disappointing to me as I swear I used to see nests and eggs every spring. Heck, when we lived in Sterling, VA, starlings (dumb birds that they are) used to fall right out of their nests and onto our front stoop. We nursed baby birds back to life when I was Elena's age. I would love to show them little hatching eggs. I would love to show you a photograph of thin, almost translucent-shelled blue speckled eggs. Where have all the birds' nests gone?

2 comments:

Elisa said...

Watty's got a pic of blue eggs. lol I think I commented on it on FB.

Show your kids that. We have a bluebird box that they always nest in but I can't see in it.

Lorraine said...

Um, you no longer see the birds nests for the sticks? Trying to use "forest for the trees" but it's not really working. I wish I had a better idea!