Thursday, May 07, 2009

DAY 126: Snack-fu


Snack-fu, originally uploaded by Kikigill.

So, this week I was a bad mommy. I forgot I was snack mom at the nursery school. Monday it was my fault that the poor little dears were relegated to skip snack or eat leftover Sunday school snacks. But, I made up for it! On Tuesday evening, I went to the store and got fun snacks. Little cookie packages and applesauces and fruit. This was after I had a discussion with Elena about me potentially bringing cut up veggies for snack. I could see her face fall and, in a flash of panic, imagined myself as THAT mother. The one who gives out pretzels on Halloween and makes low-sugar cupcakes at birthday time. I looked at her little face and said (in a quickly amending fashion), "...or do you think the other kids might not like cut up veggies as much as they would like a special fruit?" So we bought a large watermelon, melon baller and made giant melon balls which were a big hit...PHEW! That was a close one.

3 comments:

Elisa said...

Snack-fu, SNAFU? you crack me up w/ your wit. lol

Melon balls sound great but I've been the mom to send baby carrots and pretzels and I do look down on the moms who send any sort of faux-juice w/ the snack. Ick!

Kelly said...

ha... ha... I was *that* mom this week when Jakob brought individual bags of apple slices and grapes for his birthday treats! We knew someone else was also bringing in birthday treats and I didn't think there were two of me in the class...

Lorraine said...

Wow, melon balls are a great idea. I do in fact have a seedless watermelon looming on my counter. Would you come and convert it to melon balls for me?