Friday, April 10, 2009

DAY 97: Staten Island, Another Country


Wed April 8 046, originally uploaded by Kikigill.

I went to a meeting in Staten Island. I am not sure if I had been there before. I know my aunt's godmother lived there, Godmother Gay, and I might have been there with family at one point when I was too young to remember, but this was the first time I can remember in a long time. On the one hand, I felt like I was still in Brooklyn or Queens, on the other, I felt like I was in another country. I couldn't believe it when I got to the edge of Brooklyn and still had twenty miles to go before my destination (thank you GPS). I had always wanted to drive over the Verrazano and the Goethals bridges and this was my chance. I got to do both. I actually think I crossed six bridges getting to Staten Island. Probably would have been more prudent to have come by boat.

The neatest part of the trip was right at this moment I photographed. This is going over the Verrazano (I am pretty sure) and off to the left is the farthest point of the NYC area reaching into the Atlantic. There is no sound, no harbor, no protection, just the wide mouth of a harbor with giant cargo ships ushering in and out. It made me acutely aware of New York's port city roots. Plus, the Verrazano is so high up to let these massive ships pass underneath it. It was an interesting drive to say the least.

1 comment:

Lorraine said...

I love your use of "prudent."