Monday, February 19, 2007

Homecoming Weekend!

This weekend, my husband came home. He came home physically, which wasn't really a huge deal, although it was nice to have someone's toes next to mine in bed. He makes an awesome bed warmer. But, he also seems to have come home mentally.

He's been going through a program up at St. Jude Retreat House. It's a six week social-educational focused treatment program. He finished the first phase and moved on to the "Continuing Education" portion of the program. It's been hard for him. The focus is on self-assessment and self-image. It's on career and goal-setting. It's basically focused on all my hubby's weaknesses. He has struggled. He seems to be working through good things, but part of that work sends him into some depression, or, as the doctor put it, into a "psychotic depression." Oh joy!

So, I was worried about his homecoming. What would it be like? The last time he came home, he was distant and foreign to me. He seemed to struggle to even raise his arms to hug me. This time, was the complete and utter opposite. It reassures me that he is working so hard on both overcoming his illness and working through the program. He says it's stubborness...I say it's God's work. Both are probably true and not mutually exclusive.

Praise God for both of us reconnecting...
Praise Him for recommittment to our marriage...
Praise Him for beautiful, angelic children...for dates...for helpful in-laws...

Thank you for praying with me. I finally called out "uncle" to God last week. Maybe he heard me?

3 comments:

Lorraine said...

Your community out here has been waiting for something positive for you two, Kiki! I'm so glad that you have renewed hope after this weekend.

Precie said...

Keeks...my heart goes out to you with highest hopes.

Shekky said...

I hadn't checked in in awhile. I didn't know this was going on. Prayers and positive vibes will be coming your way! It's easier to face things side by side than alone.