Friday, June 19, 2009

JUNE 19th: A Toilet for Every Occasion


IMG00275.jpg, originally uploaded by Kikigill.

When I was in high school and college, my parents had some really cool friends. They had met them through newcomers in Ridgefield and, actually, they remain close friends to this day. But, this goofy bunch had road rallies and scavenger hunts for fun. They had theme parties with dressing up. They had senses of humor that rivaled, in my young mind, comedians on TV.

Anyhow, one day one family redid their bathroom and were throwing out a toilet. Instead of a run-of-the-mill trip to the dump, this toilet got the royal treatment befitting a once throne. They dressed it up in baby blue and took it over as a welcoming lawn ornament for a baby's birth. This triggered a series of increasingly complex and artistic toilet productions. The final one, I remember, was a life size palm tree, sunk into concrete in the bowl, surrounded by a jungle scene. I don't even remember the occasion, perhaps to welcome home from a vacation?

What good friends to keep it light and creative with something as mundane as a toilet. Needless to say, when I was walking and came upon this jettisoned porcelain in my office park, it brought instant memories flooding back. I have to admit, I also had an urge to go get my car, load up the toilet and festoon it on the front lawn for Father's Day!

No comments: