Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Best Birthday Gift Ever

So, first we went to Action Animal Park for the birthday girl. It was there that we saw this mother deer and her fawn with whom I fell in love. Here they are, mother leading, baby gambling along behind her. My only regret, as I stood there perched on the driver's seat with my shutter arm extended out the sun roof, was that a fence stood between me and the deer.



Baby deer with momma, through fencing:
Laneys Bday 096

Close up on the fencing:
Laneys Bday 089

Nursing!
Laneys Bday 101

So then, we go home to Daddy's house. Satisfied and happy that we had seen all the Family Cervidae has to offer. We have a lovely birthday dinner. We remember the first birthday. We tell stories about that day. That arduous process. That c-section. Then, we head home to have yet another birthday celebration. As we are on our way, we pass much wildlife, a purple finch, squirrels, some beaver-like thing I couldn't quite see...and then, the piece de resistance.

A mother deer and her fawn! I stopped the car, put on the hazard lights and jumped out of the car. I grabbed the birthday girl, who happens to be obssessed with deer and took my camera. We spooked the mother, but the baby did what every good baby fawn is supposed to do and dropped and hid in the grass. We got within inches of the little deer. Can you believe this?
Laneys Bday 160

2 comments:

Watty said...

OH SOOO SWEET!!!

Lorraine said...

It is an amazing birthday present.

That picture of mother and baby fawn - poster-worthy, card-worthy, etc. It is absolutely beautiful.