Wednesday, February 11, 2009

DAY 40: Liam Loves Rocks


40/365 Our Family Loves Rocks, originally uploaded by Kikigill.

Liam, like his mother, loves rocks. I always collected them and kept them, my most precious possessions. When I was a little girl, the tooth fairy even brought me polished river stones instead of money. I couldn't have been happier!

I have some "grown-up" rocks I collected at Thatcher Mountain State Park in Albany, NY. I hiked the Indian Ladder Trail, and meandered off the path. I ducked under the railing that was supposed to keep people (people just like me) from skittering down into the gully. I climbed, spider-style, down into the gully. Down there, I found fossils from the Ordovician and Devonian periods. I found crinoids and tentaculites. An amazing find! At one point, I remember pulling myself up to a ledge that was under running water. It was covered in swimming tentaculites. It was an area five by two feet large. It was incredible! Breathtaking! Who thinks this way about rocks? I do. Liam does. My family does. Go figure.

2 comments:

Elise said...

He is a beautiful boy.

My girl collects rocks, too. ;) She calls them treasures.

Linking to the hnt blog b/c I thought of you when I posted today's pic. lol

Lorraine said...

I also collected rocks as a little one. Not the best collection to have when you're in a family that moves almost every year!

Our lovely wood outdoor table on our front porch is completely covered with Amelia's outdoor treasure collection. Oliver mostly loves throwing rocks.